Making magic real: Times Square turns into a ground-breaking, award-winning immersive experience
In advance of its global expansion, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child needed to reaffirm its connection to the official Harry Potter franchise and increase worldwide awareness and ticket sales of the play.
We needed to create an experience worthy of the brand, so we took over the world’s biggest stage—Times Square—to do something that’s never been done before.
Create a brand activation in New York that heralds the global roll-out of the production across multiple markets and launches the identity and new brand line.
- Create an epic, experiential, crowd-pleasing event in Times Square that brings to life the magic of the franchise in a brand-new way for Harry Potter fans
- Focus on earned media to deliver global amplification, bringing together a group of over 50 top Wizarding World Influencers, and use all content generated across the day for a brand-new TV commercial to be broadcast 24 hours later
Through magic and ingenuity, we brought the battle between good and evil to life—and good ultimately won.
- A jaw-dropping 60-minute light and sound show hosted by Sarah Jessica Parker with nearly 360 degrees of breathtaking visuals and sound that magically danced across 51 separate screens in the biggest-ever takeover of Times Square
- A brand-new commercial released 24 hours after the takeover across social, web, and broadcast platforms
- Synced artwork and a new tagline with all Cursed Child productions, globally uniting the brand and its fans
- Over 900,000 posts and 4,120,868,479 impressions around the globe, including mentions in almost every major news and entertainment outlets in America, Australia and the UK
- Featured as ADWEEK’s Ad of the Day, one of INC’s top 6 marketing stunts of 2019, and one of ADWEEK’s top 15 marketing innovations of 2019
- Won at ADWEEK’s 2020 Experiential Awards, and the American Advertising Awards Silver Addy Event Award